On May 29, 2012, the new Act on Statistics related to Intra-Community Trade of Goods was published in issue № 40 of the „Official Gazette”. It shall enter into force as of July 1, 2012, thus replacing the currently existing Act, having the same title.
The newly adopted Act regulates major part of the subject matter, in way similar and sometimes even identical to the one, used by the Legislator in the previous Act on Statistics related to Intra-Community Trade of Goods. There are nevertheless certain new points, some of which shall be discussed here below.
The amendments, which concern the Intrastat operators are the following:
- A new requirement was created – to file a blank declaration when during the period of reference no Intra-Community operations have been performed.
- The amendment regarding the terms in which the Intrastat declaration must be filed is substantial: The term according to art. 22, subparagraph 1 of the repealed Act, was no later than 10th of the month, following the period of reference, art. 11, subparagraph 1 of the new Act is no later than 14th of the month, following the period of reference.
- In the following subparagraph of art. 11 it is expressly stated that the Intrastat operators who have an occurred current obligation shall file a declaration no later than the 20th of the month, following the period of reference.
- Regarding the confidentiality of the data, collected following the procedure of the said Act, the term in which the President of the National Statistical Institute (NSI) should take a resolution regarding the request for extension of the confidentiality – 30 days period.
- Another amendment is to be found in the administrative and penal provisions: the pecuniary sanction which is to be imposed to Intrastat operators, who do not file a declaration on time or at all, or have filed non-exhaustive or false data
in the Instrat declaration is increased and is between BGN 500 and BGN 5000. Up until now the said sanction was between BGN 200 and BGN 1000.
Another amendment, which does not concern the Intrastat operators is related to the fact that the NSI shall develop from now on together with the National Revenue Agency the rules of validation of data, collected according to the Intrastat system. NSI shall provide on monthly basis the Bulgarian National Bank with data for the purpose of the operating account of the balance of payment. The said requirement did not exist up until now.