With the new amendments to the Consumer Protection Act, the Bulgarian legislator harmonized the national law with the European law, adding a whole new chapter on the cooperation between the national authorities responsible for consumer protection.
The key aspect of the new chapter is the explicit reference to the specific national authorities responsible for resolving different consumer disputes.
According to the new regulation, if you are a consumer and your rights are violated, you can contact:
The Consumer Protection Commission if:
- the trader did not provide with sufficient information about products, services, prices, contact addresses, product guaranteeя, stocks, terms and conditions, etc.;
- the trader have unfairly indicated the prices of products and services;
- you are shopping online;
- you conclude a distance contract for credit, insurance, voluntary social securities or other payment services;
- you purchase travel packages or other organized tourist trips;
- you are discriminated by a trader during the provision of services;
- you enter into a consumer loan agreement or a real estate loan agreement;
- you are a person with reduced mobility and you are using air, bus, maritime or river transport, etc.
The Bulgarian Drug Agency if you have been misled by any advertisement of drugs.
The Communications Regulations Commission, if without your prior consent, a trader sends you emails, text messages, or calls you for direct marketing purposes.
The Directorate General for Civil Aviation Administration, if your flight is delayed or cancelled, if your boarding has been denied, if the airline has not provided you the food and assistance necessary during the delay, if you have not been duly compensated in these cases, etc.
The Competition Protection Commission if your consumer rights are violated as a result of unfair commercial practices.
The Railway Administration Executive Agency if your train is late, your trip is cancelled, or if you have been denied access to the train, etc.
The Electronic Media Council if television or radio advertising is misleading, if you receive misleading surreptitious commercial communication etc.
The Bulgarian National Bank, if:
- there is a dispute over the information you provide for the evaluation of your creditworthiness in order to draw a consumer credit;
- there is a dispute concerning bank transfers in cash or online payments.
The Ministry of Tourism if you purchased tourist services – part of a package or related tourist services which you have not been provided and you did not receive your money back because the tour operator/travel agent became insolvent/bankrupt.